Saturday, May 23, 2009

Make the Plan, Forget the Plan

Today was one of those days where I had a very specific outline for what I wanted to accomplish. I had to go grocery shopping, do some gardening, clear out old papers from my file cabinets, etc. The day began well enough as I ticked off at least one or two of the things I had on my plate. Then I opened my email to find a message from my son. He had forwarded to me a webpage featuring a beautiful beagle that he was interested in adopting. Upon seeing the dog I made the comment that I could look at that adorable face forever. This took place at sometime after two o'clock in the afternoon. By 3 PM, after having confirmed that that dog was still available, my son and I were on our way to the ASPCA adoption center, having decided to adopt immediately. Keep in mind I'm driving from Brooklyn, New York into the deep recesses of Manhattan on the Friday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend. Can you spell T-R-A-F-F-I-C?

Okay, let's cut to the chase. Her name is Marla. She is a year and three months old and by 8 PM she had already firmly installed herself as a member of the family, complete with collar, license and a favorite furry chew toy. Beagles are high energy dogs that like to sniff, lick, jump, play and, oh yes, bark. This particular one just recuperated from surgery for a fractured pelvis sustained in a car accident and suffers from separation anxiety so she howls if left alone for more than 10 seconds. She is a sweet dog and I have no doubt she will settle down into a routine in short order. My son, who will bear the major brunt of this dog's care and feeding, will no doubt have quite a bit of adjusting to do. He is used to sleeping in late and lazing around. That will all come to a screeching halt now that he's got a dog to feed and walk every day. Already he realizes that he has to pick up all the small toys, socks and other clothing he leaves strewn around his bedroom otherwise the dog will get into them. Just imagine, this dog may very well accomplish what I have failed to do...get my son to clean his room. Heck, I'll take my blessings wherever I can get them.

Today I also received another welcome surprise. After nine months of waiting I finally received my certificate of trademark for the logo I have used for all my work since approximately 1995. I can now officially add that tiny circled "R" after my logo on all the papercrafting work I do. Now I have to make the move to set up a website and put my work out there for sale.

No, today was not at all what I planned it to be.

Ballo ergo sum,
- Gitana, the Creative Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment